One of the best ways to protect yourself from cyber-crime is by installing anti-virus software on your computer, tablet PC or smartphone. A good antivirus program will
- look for cyber security threats,
- alert you of anything that is deemed suspicious and mitigate incoming attacks, and
- meaning you don’t have to worry about hackers.
What is a computer virus
A computer virus, sometimes called malware, is a computer program that is installed on your computer without your knowledge. The intent of this program is to perform tasks that are not in your best interests. Among the common impacts of different viruses:
- Encrypting all the data on your computer so the attacker can charge you money to get your files back. This is called Ransomeware
- Stealing every keystroke, so the attacker can learn your accounts and passwords. This is a Keylogger Software.
- Turning on your computer’s microphone and camera allowing the software to capture your personal space.
- Using your computer to attack other users. This is the most common for of a DDOS attack.
For the most part viruses do not only perform the function they were designed to do. Viruses also alter your computer’s operating system to make them hard to detect. In addition viruses will reinstall themselves if they are not removed properly.
How does antivirus work?
Antivirus software will scan your computer’s hard drive, installed application programs and temporary files, and almost all the data on the computer. Almost all antivirus applications provide the options to scan manually but you can also automate the scanning process. During the scan the antivirus software will notify you if a harmful software is found and give you the option to delete it or skip it. Antivirus software will also shows you infected files and data. In some situations antivirus software can repair the infected files.
Why is antivirus important?
Why is Antivirus Software Important? Antivirus software is essential for any business wanting to protect their data and computer systems. Antivirus software is the gatekeeper preventing unwanted persons from entering. Prevention is much more effective than cure. The focus is to be proactive instead of being reactive when protecting your data. A system in place protecting your technology is far less expensive than the recovery costs of not having one in place.
Your business reputation could be on the line if a virus exposes sensitive data. The number of advantages antivirus softwares offer are countless. Some of the most prominent advantages are:
- Protection from viruses and virus transmissions.
- Block spam and ads.
- Defense against hackers and data thieves.
- Ensures protection from removable devices.
- Protects your data and files.
- Firewall protection from spyware and phishing attacks.
- Limit the access of websites to enhance web protection.
As can be seen, the importance of antivirus software may be largely undermined. However, with the benefits that you can get from them, it is about time that you protect yourself from cybercrime. At City Technology Group we use the latest antivirus software to scan harmful software to help protect your systems. If need expertise with Threat Protection or other complex Technologies we are here to help. Above all our Support Team can help you get protected and give you peace of mind. Contact us today!